Friday 17 February 2012

The Outdoor North Wales Forum.....Oh, and I'm a speaker!



Glasdir Conference Centre, Llanrwst
Oh dear....I have been asked to present at the ‘Outdoor North Wales Forum’ at the Glasdir Conference Centre, Llanrwst which is only a few days away. My topic to discuss is ‘Social Marketing - does it really work for outdoor businesses?’  Social Marketing is obviously something that I am becoming more familiar with each day, I’m happy to discuss its benefits and how useful it is for business with anyone who wants to know, but in front of circa 120 people I’m not so sure!!!

The team that arrange the forum
Let’s be honest I am terrified. ‘Public speaking is speaking to a group of people in a structured, deliberate manner intended to inform, influence, or entertain the listeners,’ (www.publicspeaking.co.nz) to me, this just reads as ‘public speaking is speaking to a huge room of people who are judging everything you say and expecting you be fascinating and entertaining maybe even funny and definitely nerve free ...... Oh lord what have I got myself into?! I’m already nervous, my palms are sweating and my stomach is literally doing somersaults (it’s a real thing) and the forum is over a week away, what will I be like on the day?!

Karen Plumb speaking last year
It is my employers, Walking North Wales who arrange the forum and when I was first asked to take part I was pleased to have the opportunity. Last year’s forum was a massive success and I have heard some fantastic feedback and read some of the talks which sound interesting and professional.  Although this is fantastic news, for me it is just a sign that the room will be full of many eager listeners expecting more of the same! This year’s forum is about to sell out already, great for Walking North Wales but my fears are worsening.


I am heartened that this is such a reputable event and that I am lucky enough to be a part of it. Some of the topics and presentations of the day sound interesting and include ‘Making a living from Niche Markets’ and ‘Building walking trails - The Ardudwy Way and The North Wales Pilgrim's Way’, if only I was just a spectator! There are even workshops held in the afternoon, I am coordinating one of these too, but luckily this is more hands on and with fewer people so I can cope with that!
Jojo Mains from the RNLI will be speaking this year

 The forum really is a great place for outdoor businesses in the area to meet and find a central point to discuss the way the market is going and I am really excited to be there. I hope that I do Walking North Wales justice and my presentation goes well, wish me luck and if I survive the day I’ll let you know how it goes!





For more information find The Outdoor North Wales Forum on Facebook or visit their site www.outdoornorthwalesforum.co.uk

1 comment: