Tuesday 10 April 2012

Plas Glyn y Weddw....a gem along the coastal path


As the date of the launch of the All Wales Coastal path is nearing I felt almost obliged to spend an afternoon walking along our incredible coast…..I was drawn to the Llyn Peninsula once again and decided to tell you about the small village of Llanbedrog which I came across along my way.

If you consider walking the Llyn Coastal Path I must urge you to visit this pretty spot, not only has it a beautiful almost cove like beach but the amazing gallery of Plas Glyn y Weddw is a reason to visit in itself….I felt that I had to take a look and enjoy a cream tea in the garden!

Me outside the gallery
Oriel Plas Glyn y Weddw, built in 1857 is Wales’ oldest Art gallery and I must say it is indeed one of the most beautiful settings too. The building in itself is appeal enough to visit and the six airy exhibiting rooms streaming with natural light house an amazing collection of art from Wales and beyond.  As you enter the building you become overwhelmed by the staggering entrance hall and gothic architecture which draws you in. I was so glad that I detoured from my walk to take a look around- all in the name of research you’ll understand!

Walking through the woodland
Outside there seems to be a hive of activity taking place in the form of a building site which I was told will soon be a new amphitheatre which will hold performances and workshops. The Winllan woodland surrounding the gallery was bought back in 2008 and has several paths and trails running through the trees. One of these paths is part of the coastal path which tied in nicely to my walk. I followed the path from the woodland to a large statue of an iron man at the top of the cliff. 

The view from the top of the cliff in stunning and on a clear day you can see for miles. There is alternative walks up the side of the cliff (up a lot of steps) to this amazing spot directly from the beach and although the climb is a little struggle it is definitely worth it. I decided to walk down that way, a far more sensible idea.


The Llyn is really one of the most fantastic places to walk, and when you come across little gems like Oriel Plas Glyn y Weddw along the way it easy t see why…

No comments:

Post a Comment