Thursday 26 April 2012


I was walking the new Wales Coast Path yesterday after I went to a meeting in Llandudno Junction. I intended to walk from Conwy Town across the bridge and then turn left, north towards the Great Orme as the path hugged the coast. Visibility was poor and I had failed to bring my full waterproofs. So, instead, I turned right after the bridge and headed south to one of the hundreds of hidden gems along this coast - the RSPB Conwy Nature reserve.

There are others in North Wales at South Stack near Holyhead, the wetlands around Valley on the west coast of Anglesey and the Point of Ayr on Deeside. This one has amazing views of Snowdonia and Conwy Castle - even from the coffee shop. 

It has a wetland habitat and is a great way to get closer to nature-a bit of an oasis really as the A55 thunders by only a few hundred yards away. Actually, it’s a great place to stop off if you are ever looking for a break as you travel along this road. It has a great cafe. There is a blue tit trail 1/3 mile along boardwalks, a red shank trail which is a little longer at about a mile and come back through the wildlife garden, and a grey heron trail which runs to 2 miles and takes you all around the perimeter.

There was lots of activity and several people were quite excited about seeing great crested grebes I saw an oystercatcher, or at least I think that’s what it was! I was dressed for a business meeting with a portfolio and calculator. I wish I had bought my binoculars and bird handbook instead!

Peter

No comments:

Post a Comment