Friday 27 April 2012

A Failed Attempt to tackle the Great Orme

Refreshed at the Craigside Inn I headed back west along the seafront of Llandudno and up the lane that I thought led to the Great Orme. I took the long lane out of Llandudno and ended up in Happy Valley which was an area of parkland dedicated by Lord Mostyn (the founder of Llandudno) to Queen Victoria on the occasion of her Diamond Jubilee in 1897.
Queen Victoria looking out on gardens given in her honour and now on offshore wind turbines. Would she be amused?
There is an interesting rock garden, a ski slope and what looks like a really good toboggan run.

I should have known I was on the wrong path!
I think I'll leave this for the grandchildren!

I then made the short walk up to Pen Dinas which was once an Iron Age Hill Fort with three or four defensive ramparts with around 60 huts. The information board said that these can still be seen, but not by me as it was pretty much overgrown with turf. Highly visible though were the beautifully kept goats.






Then remained the path to the Great Orme summit itself which can clearly be seen in the photograph below, but I have to confess that I flunked it as the rain was coming down in some quantity,

No comments:

Post a Comment